Honors and Awards
- Editor of IISE Transactions on Quality & Reliability Engineering (2018~present)
- Richard C. Wilson Faculty Scholar, Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan (January 2015–December 2016).
- Distinguished Professor Award, presented by Novelis, 2015.
- Elected Fellow of Institute of Industrial Engineering (IIE), 2015
- Faculty Achievement Award, Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 2013.
- Elected Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2012.
- Elected Senior Member of International Statistics Institute (ISI), 2012.
- Forging Achievement Award from Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation, 2007.
- PECASE Award (Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers), 2004.
- NSF CAREER Award from National Science Foundation, 2002.
- Excellence at the Student Interface Award from College of Engineering and Mines, University of Arizona, 2001
Best Paper Awards
- Best Student Paper Award (Awardee Wenbo Sun is my PhD student) from IISE Conference 2018 of Quality Control and Reliability Engineering Division. For paper “Robust Design Using an Inexact Simulation Model with Physical Experiment Data.
- Best Paper Award from ASME The Manufacturing Engineering Division (MSEC 2017). For
paper “Dynamic Sampling Design for Characterizing Spatiotemporal Processes in
Manufacturing,” June 4-8, 2017, Los Angeles, CA.
- Best Paper Award (Second Place) from ASME-Manufacturing Engineering Division (MSEC
2016). For paper “Profile Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis via Sensor Fusion for Ultrasonic
Welding,” June 27~July 1, 2016, Blacksburg, VA.
- Best Paper Award from Annual IE conference (IISE2016). For Paper “Change-point Detection in Solar Panel Degradation Analysis,” May 21~24, 2016, Anaheim, CA.
- Best Paper Award from the 11th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing (ICFDM) 2014. For paper “Real-time Within-cycle Monitoring of Nonlinear Profile Signals”, May 23-25, 2014, Nanjing, China.
- Best Application Paper Award from IIE Transactions, 2012. For paper “Characterization of Nonlinear Profiles Variations using Mixed-Effect Models and Wavelets,” IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering, 43, 275–290.
- Best Paper Award from Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2009. For paper “Blind Identification of Individual Source Signals from Aggregated Sensor Measurement,” May 31-June 2, 2009, Miami, FL.
- Best Paper Award from Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2008. For paper “Optimal Sensor Allocation for System Abnormality Detection by Integrating Causal Models and Set-Covering Algorithms,” May 17-21, 2008, Vancouver, Canada.
- Best Paper Award from Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2007. For paper “Multiscale Monitoring of Autocorrelated Processes Using Wavelets,” May 19-23, 2007, Nashville, TN, pp. 428-433.
- Best Paper Award from IIE Transactions, 2006. For paper “Online Automatic Process Control Using Observable Noise Factors for Discrete-part Manufacturing,” IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 899-911.
- Best Paper Award from Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2006. For paper “Causation-Based T2 Decomposition for Multivariate Process Monitoring and Diagnosis,” May 20-24, 2006, Orlando, FL.
- Best Paper Award from IIE Transactions, 2005. For paper “Cost-Variability-Sensitive Preventive Maintenance Considering Management Risk,” IIE Transactions on Quality and Reliability Engineering, Vol. 35, pp. 1091-1101.
- Best Paper Award from American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2000. For paper “Process-oriented Tolerance Synthesis for Multistage Manufacturing Processes,” Proceedings of IMECE 2000, Nov. 5-10, 2000, Orlando, FL.